Thursday, July 14, 2016

This Past Week


“Couldn’t you have written a haiku instead?”

It probably would have gone over better.

“One more time!”

The last take was the best. It made the video.

“I would like you to write a song cycle.”

Well, there’s a not unpleasant thought.

“Have you looked in the bookstore?  They have a book there: how to write a play.”

Okay, we were inspecting the first draft. It was evidently not going to be the last draft.

“I am not into this opera. I need to bow out.”

A wise decision, but one that leaves me without a director, and a premiere on October 23.

“I may get around to buying your book.”


I ask myself from time to time for whom am I doing this? My ego? That would be ridiculous considering the amount of people it takes to launch and complete a project.  I do it, because I want to try or can, more or less.  After a lamentable encounter this week when I thought I am not deigned to be called a musician (we all have our moments), I realized once again that not being successful is totally necessary to make me understand the scope of work that needs to be done.  I don’t mind working.  I like working.  I keep picking myself up and dusting myself off and thinking up projects.  It's like being a child again.

No comments:

Post a Comment